Approval to send money to an inmate

To send money to an inmate, you must be approved to be on that inmate’s visiting list.

  • For Montana State Prison, call between 8:00 am and 5:00 pm Monday through Friday.
    Visitor Sign-in (406) 846-1320 ext.2313
    Mail Room (406) 846-1320 ext. 2258
  • For the Montana Women's Prison, call (406) 247-5118.

Inmates may receive funds from:

  • their attorney
  • immediate family members listed on their approved visiting list
  • one approved non-family member authorized by the warden or his or her designee. Inmates may request that the non-family member be changed to another approved non-family member, but this can only occur once every six months.

Inmates in the Intake Unit – Inmates housed at the Martz Diagnostic Intake Unit (MDIU) for over 30 days who do not yet have anyone on their approved visiting list may request a one-time money transfer from an immediate family member.

Inmates are only allowed to send money to people on their approved visiting list.

Online deposits

Approved individuals may place money in the inmate’s trust account through the online Inmate Trust Account Deposits service at There is a $250 limit for transactions. No proceeds benefit the state of Montana or the Montana Department of Corrections.

The Inmate Trust Account Deposits system serves inmates at:

  • Montana State Prison
  • Montana Women's Prison
  • Cascade County Regional Prison
  • Crossroads Correctional Center
  • Dawson County Correctional Facility

Instructions on how to use the system are available online. To create an account, you will need the last four digits of your Social Security number. If you do not have a SSN or cannot see an inmate on your list, please email:

There is a three-day holding period before funds are available to the inmate. Your receipt shows the date the funds will be available.

Mail-in deposits

Approved individuals may mail money to an inmate in the form of a cashier’s check or a U.S. Postal money order. Personal checks are not accepted and are returned to the sender.

The cashier’s check or money order must include:

  • the inmate’s full name and DOC number
  • the sender’s full name and address

In addition:

  • Funds must be received within 20 days of the date of purchase.
  • The envelope containing the cashier’s check or money order must be postmarked from the immediate area in which the approved sender’s listed residence is located.
  • If the sender cancels a money order after it has been received at MSP, staff notify Postal Service authorities.

Mailroom staff stamps the inside of the envelopes with the amount sent and forwards the mail to the inmates so they know how much money was deposited in their trust accounts.

For further information on mailing, see Mailing letter, publications and packages to inmates

Other types of funds

Accounting staff credits funds such as U.S. Treasury Department checks, refunds, inmate personal savings withdrawals, approved business transactions and/or tribal checks to inmate accounts.