Cost of Care law

Under Montana law, when a court places a youth under the supervision of the Department of Corrections, the court must determine whether the youth’s parents or guardians can pay part or all of the associated costs.

If the court determines that the parents and/or guardians are able to contribute to the cost of a youth’s care, parents/guardians can make their payments online or by mail.

How to make an online payment

  1. Visit the online Department of Corrections virtual cashier
  2. Follow the instructions provided online. Be sure to have your invoice available, as you will need information from that invoice.

How to make a payment by mail

You can mail a check or money order for a youth’s cost of care to:

Department of Corrections
Youth Services Division
PO Box 201301
Helena, MT 59620-1301

Please be sure to include your full name, address and parent number, as well as the youth’s full name and CAPS ID number. Make checks or money orders payable to the Montana Department of Corrections.