The Montana Department of Corrections is dedicated to reducing the rate offenders return to incarceration by utilizing collaborative interagency partnerships and national best practices for reentry. Success for offenders means having stable housing and employment, effective treatment, positive personal relationships, family support and appropriate supervision that allows them to build productive, law-abiding lives. Success means fewer future victims, less crime and a safer Montana.
House Bill 68, the act establishing the statewide multiagency Reentry Taskforce outlines four responsibilities of the Department, in collaboration with the Taskforce:
- Examine and implement programs that will help bring community resources into prisons to support inmate reentry planning and preparation.
- Develop partnerships with and contract with community-based organizations that provide needed services to released inmates in areas such as mental health, chemical dependency, employment, housing, healthcare, faith-based services, parenting, relationship services, and victim impact panels.
- Coordinate with community restorative justice programs to ensure victim concerns and opportunities for restorative justice practices, including restitution, are considered during an offender's reentry.
- Collect data, conduct program evaluation, and develop findings and any recommendations about reentry and recidivism and include this information in an annual report to be made available to the Law and Justice Interim Committee.
Montana Reentry Initiative Task Force
- Interim Director Loraine Wodnik, Chairman, Department of Corrections
- Matt Dale, Department of Justice, restorative justice representative
- Dr. Gary Mihelish, NAMI, mental health advocate
- Steve Olson, Department of Labor and Industry
- Dr. Cody Warner, Montana State University
- Derek VanLuchene, Ryan United, crime victims representative
- Moe Wosepka, Montana Catholic Conference, faith-based representative
- Donna Huston, Center for Children & Families, community representative
- Kristy Cobban, Montana Board of Pardons and Parole
Department of Corrections Technical Representatives
- Adrianne Slaughter, Government Relations Director
- Joan Daly-Shinners, Warden, Montana Women’s Prison
- John Daugherty, Acting Deputy Director
- Leroy Kirkegard, Warden, Montana State Prison
- Gayle Lambert, Administrator, Montana Correctional Enterprises
- Kevin Olson, Probation and Parole Division
- Cindy McKenzie, Administrator, Youth Services
- Pat Schlauch, Administrator, Business Management Services Division