Montana State Prison
400 Conley Lake Road
Deer Lodge, MT 59722
Montana State Prison is located in the Deer Lodge valley approximately 3.5 miles west of the town of Deer Lodge. The institution is designated to maintain a population of (1,495) adult male offenders that are classified to one of six custody levels (Max, Close, Medium I, Medium II, Minimum I and Minimum II). There are approximately 636 employees of which 407 are uniformed staff. The physical plant consists of three compounds, Max, High Side, and Low Side which are contained within a 68 acre double fenced perimeter. Montana State Prison utilizes a unit management structure that is ultimately managed by a warden, four associate wardens and three bureau chiefs. Outside the fenced perimeter is a 192-bed Work and Reentry Center, which houses minimum-custody inmates that work on a 35,000-acre ranch and dairy program operated by Montana Correctional Enterprises.
EMERGENCY INFORMATION HOTLINE 1-888-739-9122
- Warden, Leroy Kirkegard: (406) 846-1320, ext. 2200
- Administrative Officer, Cheryl Bolton: (406) 846-1320, ext. 2302;
- Associate Warden Housing, Myron Beeson: (406) 846-1320, ext. 2454;
- Associate Warden Operations, Leonard Mihelich: (406) 846-1320, ext. 2300;
- Associate Warden Programs, Tom Wilson (406) 846-1320, ext. 2334;
- Associate Warden Security, Tom Wood: (406) 846-1320, ext. 2364;
- Health Services Bureau Chief, Cathy Redfern: (406) 846-1320, ext. 2448;
- Contract Placement Bureau Chief, Patrick Smith: (406) 846-1320, ext. 2556;
- Technical Correctional Services Bureau Chief, Candyce Neubauer: (406) 846-1320, ext. 2459;
- Public Information/Victim Information Officer, Linda Moodry: (406) 846-1320, ext. 2201;
- Policy Officer, Steve Redfern: (406) 846-1320, ext. 2306;
- Budget Analyst, Lena Havron: (406) 444-3913;
FAX: (406) 846-2950
MSP Switchboard: (406) 846-1320, ext. 0
Address: 400 Conley Lake Road; Deer Lodge, MT; 59722
Contract Placement Bureau
Use of regional and private prisons represents a three-way public safety partnership among the State of Montana, three counties, and private industry. This partnership gives the state innovative operations in managing inmate population and placement.
The Department of Corrections has developed and implemented a comprehensive monitoring process to ensure that obligations of the prison contracts are met. The goal of the monitoring process is more uniformity within the system. Stringent contract compliance improves public safety and assures cost control. Key to the success of the program is the monitor at each facility, who reports to the Bureau chief.
Biennial audits of each facility are completed by the DOC internal auditor, security staff, and personnel from MSP and MWP, and representatives of regional and private prisons. This team checks for compliance in food service, medical care, programming, security and administrative duties. Plans for improvement are then developed.
- Bureau Chief, Patrick Smith:(406) 846-1320, ext: 2556 ; FAX (406) 846-2966;
- Administrative Officer, Heidi Crowe:(406) 846-1320, ext. 2517
- Correctional Case Manager, Jerry Johnson:(406) 846-1320, ext. 2558
Cascade County Regional Prison (152 males)
Chief Capt. Dan O'Fallon, Administrator; (406) 454-6823 ext. 303
3800 Ulm North Frontage Road; Great Falls, MT 59404
DOC Monitor Wayne Bye; (406) 727-1930
Lewistown Infirmary (25 males)
800 Casino Creek Dr.; Lewistown, MT 59457